Tuesday, July 15, 2008

June 1, 2008

Following My Dreams

Hanalei Bay, Kauai is my favorite place on earth (no joke), and to have an opportunity to arrive by sail via a sailboat race is too amazing! That said, the reality of wanting to participate in this event has been about the preparation, as just wanting to go is not enough. This process is proving to be an incredible life changing experience, and the race hasn’t even started yet…or has it?

Thankfully, I’m sailing a humble good old boat that keeps things simple. The boat was built for midget offshore racing back in 1962. Yes, the boat has been around longer than me, but she is strong, capable, beautiful, and an absolute joy to sail! I believe I may be the “slowest rated” boat in the fleet, but with new Pineapple sails and a sprayed racing bottom, I’ll sail Sparky as fast as I possibly can - watch out Chris Humann! In all seriousness, I am very much looking forward to having this sailing/life experience knowing that I am following my dreams, wherever they may take me.

-Ruben

No comments: