Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday August 7, 2008 - Update!


Ruben and Sparky's response to all the well wishers:


Greetings from Hanalei Bay! We made it! At 07:15 this morning (Thursday), Sparky and I crossed the finish line. Skip Allen was there on Wildflower taking pictures and preparing to tow us in to the bay to anchor. Upon arrival, we were greeted by friends in a dinghy preparing to take us to shore. Then, to my surprise, upon stepping foot on the sandy beach, I saw my mom, dad, and brother, along with some of the other racers and their significant others. The welcoming was truly magical.

I just finished reading all the posts from the website my "home crew" put together for me, and I am so touched and humbled. Robbie, my dearest girlfriend had read a few of these while I was out, and I have to tell you that you all have given me so much strength and hope to finish what I started. I am so deeply moved by all your well wishes, and I believe in my heart that any one of the other racers would have done the same thing I did to make it through.

I haven't had a good nights sleep in weeks, and my digestive system is full of canned chili beans and crackers, so I apologize in advance if I'm getting too mushy, but I've come to the realization that this wasn't just a sailboat race, but a test of human spirit. I was able start the race due to all the support from friends and family, and I was able to complete the race due to all of you that sent positive thoughts and well wishes. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I would also like to thank the other competitors in this race, for they have proven to be my heroes, and I'm proud to now call them my friends. This race really did change my life in so many wonderful ways.

Until next time...

Ruben and Sparky

--------

Pictures and video coming soon!

2 comments:

rh said...

Ruben,
Waytogo! What a triumph!
Rich and Karen Hillman
-------

grizzles said...

What an accomplishment Ruben. Three cheers! A singlehanded sailor indeed!

I'd love to see the photos of you crossing the finish.

Hope you're enjoying your time on terra firma!